Monday, July 21, 2014

My day job....I'm keeping it

My day job is as a Speech-Language Pathologist. I enjoy it and am good at it.  How do I know I'm good? Well, people tell me! And, I see results in my students and clients. And back to "I enjoy it", if I like practicing, I must be good...right?  There have been many "Can I ask you a quick question about my (insert child name here)?" conversations that I've been pulled into to discuss all things speech and language.  These conversations in which I try to answer questions, ease concerns, and try to offer functional advice to loved ones, have happened at the grocery story, gym locker room, even the massage table. I was on the massage table by the way, and since then have resolved to never mention being an SLP in the name of relaxation. I read somewhere that some high percentage of Americans will change careers half-way through their working lives.  The stats are vague but the main point is that most people change their minds about what they want to do with their time.  Luckily, I've chosen a field that is very diverse in its opportunities, and so is my specific job.  I've explored several "side-hustle" options, and the travel videos is the most recent of those options.  But traveling is a hobby that I want to get paid to do.  Even still, I'm keeping my day job!  
Working with my Pre-K kiddos. Sorry, I have to withhold their cuteness from the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment